Thursday, May 17, 2012

Taco Seasoning

One of my readers (thanks Steve) asked what I use for taco seasoning.  Trader Joe's actually sells a descent pre-mixed envelope of taco seasoning which I've used in a pinch (all of the ingredients are pronounceable with no sign of MSG or anti-clumping agents); however, I buy organic, non-irradiated spices in bulk, and it takes only seconds to mix up a whole bunch of my homemade taco seasoning.  I haven't done the math, but I am sure it's more economical as well.  I use it in my chicken taco soup recipe and whenever I need to brown beef or chicken for tacos, enchiladas, etc.  The below recipe makes 4 times a regular batch, which should last you several meals.  I have a low tolerance for spicy foods, so you may wish to adjust and use a spicier chili powder according to your tastes.

Homemade Taco Seasoning

1/4 cup chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. paprika
2 tblsp ground cumin
1 tblsp finely ground sea salt
1 tblsp black pepper

Just add these ingredients one by one to a small jar, stir, label, and store in your pantry with your other spices!  Use to your liking in all of your Mexican dishes calling for taco seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment